"Setup Resource Not Found" when client triggers a Web Update

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
spicymikey

"Setup Resource Not Found" when client triggers a Web Update

Postby spicymikey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I checked this forum first but don't see anyone else having this problem. Hopefully someone can offer a clue. Here's the situation:

- The application is already installed successfully at the client site.

- The Web Update triggers to run as scheduled from the Task Scheduler and the cached setup.exe starts.

- Most of the time it works. But sometimes, for some clients, they get an error box stating "Setup Resource Not Found" as shown in this screen shot
Image1.png
System Resource Not Found screen shot
Image1.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 7972 times

- Clicking OK ends the setup. Nothing has been done. The application still works but the patch has not been applied.

Anyone have a suggestion what might be causing this? Thanks in advance

Mike

giaviv

Re: "Setup Resource Not Found" when client triggers a Web Up

Postby giaviv » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Mike,

Sounds like there is a data corruption problem. Are you able to obtain one of these patch installers that generate the error?
Aviv Giladi
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

spicymikey

Re: "Setup Resource Not Found" when client triggers a Web Up

Postby spicymikey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Aviv

I'd have to wait for it to happen again since this instance was already fixed. The solution is always to just reinstall the full setup from our website.

Incidently, our webupdater has been modified from your original template code. It has the ability to perform more functions, implements more command line switches, etc. At first I was concerned it was a coding problem but I can't imagine what "logic" issue could cause this type of message. When the installer logic itself changes, or there are significant msi changes, we issue the "patch" as a full upgrade. With ini keys and other mechanisms the installer understands if this is a full reinstall or a patch and performs the appropriate action. Again though, if there was some sort of issue with that logic I would expect different symptoms.

I'll keep looking and the next time it happens will try to get the cached setup.exe that caused the problem.

Mike

Return to “Technical Support”