Files are not being copied

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
lbertoldi

Files are not being copied

Postby lbertoldi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 am

Hi all,
I have a small problem with my setup.
I need to install a web application that needs to create a database, on both x86 and x64 servers. I managed to have everything working until I found a problem with SQL Server named instances that I had to address.
I do not know what I did add/remove/change but the setup isn't working anymore. Basically it does not copy/install files and when I call "Apply Install", the result is an empty value (I used a messagebox to display the value).
I tried to log the execution and look for errors/warnings in the resulting file, but I did not spot anything wrong.
I am attaching the log file, can you see the problem?
Thanks!
Attachments
log.txt
Log file
(711.87 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

mills

Re: Files are not being copied

Postby mills » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:13 pm

The log does look good. All the MSI entries indicate that Apply Install was executed and the closing tags at the end (</InstallAware>) are also sign that the install should have completed successfully.

In what folder are you looking for the installed files?

Do any Start Menu or Desktop icons appear after running the install?

Are you able to notice any registry entries?

What environment(s)/OS are you installing onto? Is this happening in multiple environments/machines?

I'll see if I can't find out what an empty value returned by Apply Install means.
Andy Mills
InstallAware
Other Help:
White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Product Guides - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... guides.htm
InstallAware Help - Press F1 in the InstallAware IDE.

lbertoldi

Postby lbertoldi » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply.
Here are the answers
- I am looking for the files in the TARGETDIR folder, that cannot be changed during setup and should be a subfolder of program files. Also I am installing a COM component in common files, it is missing as well
- no desktop or start menu shortcuts, it's a web app
- there should be registry entries as well, but they are missing. Also, the COM component should be registered, but it is not (at the end of the setup there's a vbscript to create an instance of it and initialize some settings, but it generates an "activex component can't create object")
- it is happening on several different configurations, ranging from Win 2003 32 bit to Win 2008 64 bit
The result is: no file is copied or installed, but the Apply install doesn't return FAILED, so the process goes on and ends with a blank finish dialog (since the visibility of the various controls is based on the SUCCESS variable having a value, not an empty string).
I noticed this line (one for each file to be installed): The file represented by File table key '.....' has no eligible binary patches. What does this mean?

Thanks

lbertoldi

Postby lbertoldi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 am

Looks like the project is corrupted in some way, look at this pic.
ia.JPG
Try to delete or move the Apply install line
ia.JPG (28.04 KiB) Viewed 9667 times

If I try to move or cut the Apply install line I get this error. I already had a look at the project script using Notepad but I cannot spot anything wrong.
How can I solve this? I do not really want to start from scratch!!!
Thanks

mills

Postby mills » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm

The line "The file represented by File table key '.....' has no eligible binary patches." appears to be a standard check performed by MSI.

It looks like these index out of bounds issues are often caused by script logic. It may be wise to break your script up into smaller scripts and make use of the Include Script command.

How bad is this inability to copy the Apply Install line? Can you insert some blank lines below it and paste to one of those?

Are you able to add an extra Apply Install earlier or later in the script?

Could you post your script for examination?
Andy Mills
InstallAware
Other Help:

lbertoldi

Postby lbertoldi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:29 am

Thanks Andy!
I did not try to add a new Apply install before, only change the existing ones (Apply advertise or uninstall), and this seems to have fixed the script in some way.
I do not know if this can help you understand the problem to fix it in the future
- I only changed the script using the IDE
- I was able to add empty (comment) lines above and below the Apply line
- when I added a new Apply Install line just above the existing one, the existing one disappeared (a misalignment between the .mia and .txt file?)
- my project is on a network share

Thanks again

ChrisN

Postby ChrisN » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 am

Hi.

I have a similar problem. I removed the old "Apply Install" command and entered a new one at the same position inside the script and now it seems to work.

My Question: Why does it happen that suddenly some files won't be installed anymore? And why does delete the command and add the exactly same one solve the problem?

Best regards.

mills

Postby mills » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:32 pm

It's not certain what the cause of this would be. Do any of you have a copy of the old project that wasn't working in addition to the edited one that does?
Andy Mills
InstallAware
Other Help:

Return to “Technical Support”