translation of EULA, and testing localized installers?

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
fxtech

translation of EULA, and testing localized installers?

Postby fxtech » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:34 pm

This is my first localized installer - I have translations for 5 different languages. But I don't see anything in the documentation about how to do the different translations of the EULA or Readme.

Also, I'd like to run the installer "in French mode" for example to make sure all the strings are right, but no my English system. I didn't see a language selection menu when I ran the installer. Is there some command-line switch I can use to force a language?

Alex_Ronquillo
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Ronquillo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

The language of the EULA is changed by adding the different EULA's as creatives in the form license.<language>.txt. This is the help file, topic "Localization Wizard".

For your second question, when you localize your project, you get a "Display Language Selection Dialog Box" checkbox in the project properties in design view. You can check it to get to choose the language at the beginning. Also, if you would like to set the language from command line, You can always run your installer and add as parameter LANGUAGE=French for example.
Alejandro Ronquillo
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

fxtech

Postby fxtech » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:59 am

Aha, indeed the info was there - silly me!

After importing my translations and hooking up my license files, if I select a non-English language, I get this error:

Runtime error in setup script:
Line 50: List index out of bounds (407)

Any idea what that means?

Alex_Ronquillo
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Ronquillo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Sorry, please described the whole process you followed.
Alejandro Ronquillo

InstallAware

fxtech

Postby fxtech » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Ok, I had originally exported all my strings using the translation wizard - I sent those off to the translator, who returned them translated (French, Spanish, German, Japanese). They also translated my license file.

I used the wizard to import the new translations. I renamed the license files as you suggested, and added them to my resources. I enabled the language selection menu in the Project options.

When I first did this, English did not show up as an option in the installer. The translation wizard had brought in Translations.Original, as well as the other 4 translation files, but hadn't made a Translations.English file, so I added that file into the resources manually. Now English shows up properly as the default translation in the installer menu. If I use English, it works fine.

If I pick any of the other languages, I get that error.

My MSI is pretty stock - line 50 in my script has nothing to do with that error as far as I can tell (it's an else statement).

Alex_Ronquillo
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Ronquillo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I think the manual addition of a language is the problem. Instead, try importing your language files again including English.
Alejandro Ronquillo

InstallAware

fxtech

Postby fxtech » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Tried that - this time I checked off all 5, including English. It asked me if I wanted to replace my previous translations, which I did.

Same error. :cry:

fxtech

Postby fxtech » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am

Found it. The translators missed a couple of strings at the end of the non-English files.

BTW - what encoding do the strings need to be in?

Return to “Technical Support”