Error during build: Unable to build web media block: Incorrect parameter value

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Steve

Error during build: Unable to build web media block: Incorrect parameter value

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 pm

I upgraded to InstallAware X4 yesterday and the very first project that I built threw the error:
"Error during build: Unable to build web media block: Incorrect parameter value".
error.jpg
error.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

This is not a new project... in fact it is an existing InstallAware project that is about 10 years old. So, suffice it to say that the above problem is not the project, it is in fact a problem in InstallAware X4. There were absolutely no project changes... The ONLY thing that changed was an upgrade from InstallAware x3 to X4.

The SOLUTION:
I realised pretty quickly that building the project with compression (Web Deploy) threw the error, but building with no compression (CD or DVD) did not throw the error. Upon looking at 'Project Settings > Build > Compression >' I noticed that my compression setting had dropped from my normal setting of 'Best' to 2 steps below that:
compression.jpg
compression.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

I then increased the compression setting back up to 'Best' and the build error resolved itself:
compressionBest.jpg
compressionBest.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

Why this resolves the issue is something that only the gurus at InstallAware can tell us... but it is somewhat scarey that an upgrade to X4 changes project settings without authorisation and that a lower compression rate causes an error. Other than insufficient hardware to perform at a higher compression setting, there is no way that compression ratios should be the cause of an InstallAware build error.

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Error during build: Unable to build web media block: Incorrect parameter value

Postby FrancescoT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Dear Steve,

honestly it sounds very strange, because I am also using very old projects in X4.

At any rate, I can only suppose that "maybe" this occurred due an old compiler variable or due a compiler variable assigned to a value which is not allowed/supported anymore.

This may explain why worked once you modified the compression settings.

Regards
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

Return to “Technical Support”