Pre-Install Hardlock Dongle

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
MAcht

Pre-Install Hardlock Dongle

Postby MAcht » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:40 am

Hello, i am new to InstallAware.
I need to check if there is a Dongle-Driver installed, install them if not and to read a number out of the Dongle. This number defines which part of the installation the user is licenced to.
After that i can ask the user, which component the user wants and so on.
Is this possible with InstallAware 7?

M.Achterholt
-Germany-

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:09 am

IF there is a .Dll wrapper you can call to read the Dongle or any other way to read it through Win32 API, then yes, it's possible.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

MAcht

Postby MAcht » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:30 am

Thank you for answer.
I think the problem is, that there are no files (dll,exe,... from the Driver) on the customer-computer before "Apply install" is executed. But i need these files on the very beginning of the setup. - Or do i think wrong?

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 am

You can add your .dll as a SupportFile and call it like $SUPPORTDIR$\\my.dll etc. .You can do the same thing with an .exe wrapper.
Panagiotis Kefalidis

Software Design Team Lead

\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"

InstallAware Software Corporation

lextm

Postby lextm » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:03 am

I need to check if there is a Dongle-Driver installed, install them if not
==============
This part can be done perfectly if you create a Dongle-Driver runtime, and then add this runtime to your install project. In this way you can ensure that Dongle-Driver is always there. In this forum you can find sample code for BDE and WinPcap Driver runtime and much more in Sample Code section.

and to read a number out of the Dongle.
==============
Do not know how you get the number out of Dongle. If you need to run an executable, use MSIcode Run Program. If you need to call a function in DLL, you can Call Dll Function. The help document contains further information.

Return to “Technical Support”